All Posts

Friday, May 27, 2011

TOWARDS A VIRTUOUS AND FREE SOCIETY: "AS A BURNING AND SHINING LIGHT" IN THE WORLD

--- On Mon, 2/20/06, Jonathan Awasom <wisesayings10@yahoo.com> wrote:


From: Jonathan Awasom <wisesayings10@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concern about the Church and Human Freedom
To: "Jonathan Awasom" <wisesayings10@yahoo.com>, kmoyer@startribune.com, andersg@startribune.com, sgillespie@startribune.com, salbright@startribune.com
Date: Monday, February 20, 2006, 11:34 AM

UNDERSTANDING A VIRTUOUS AND FREE SOCIETY FROM MY LIFE EXPERIENCE AND YEARNING FOR LIBERTY AND JUSTICE

 

 

See my complete story( I am concerned about the nonchalance of the church toward the unholy alliance of the church and  state in Cameroon as my case study.
 
My fellow Cameroonians and Concerned Citizens of the world
 
I have always envisioned virtuous and free world to the extent ,which I resonate with those who believe that a virtuous and free society is perhaps the only last hope for our survival together. So, take a moment to appreciate my take in the light of  Faith, Politics and Foreign Policy  as the basis for building a virtuous and free society as in the case of Cameroon and Africa
Faith, Politics and Foreign Policy  as the basis for building a virtuous and free society as in the case of Cameroon and Africa


Jonathan Awasom ( Idealist,Optimist,  passionate, Driven by faith, Truth, Love, Conviction, Creativity, Accountability and Freedom)

Transitioning from oral scholarship to pragmatic Scholarship
Writer (Memory Lane)

Motivational and Inspirational Speaker: Education of the Head and Heart, appreciating the American Educational System and inspiring hard work, determination and success through the human spirit; courage, patience, endurance, faith and conviction, truth and passion for a “True and Meaningful Life: The Burning Candle as a metaphor.
Consultant on African Cultural Heritage (about 75% of African culture is abusive)
Human Rights and Social Justice Advocacy at Large
Voice of Reason and Conscience

I was Ordained on December 17th, 1997 as a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Cameroon , West Africa . I authored 100 theses for the Reformation of the Presbyterian Church in Cameroon but was persecuted by the Synod elite under the actions of the totalitarian elite government: They described my theses as an “ ugly memorandum” and “ a piece of sensational thrash…” because I dare raised my voice for the voiceless .I was also outspoken against gross injustice, oppression, corruption and poverty that has plagued the society as a result of the irresponsible behavior of the government and the church authorities.

I was born into poverty and raised poor under a gross totalitarian political system. I could have chosen to join the corrupt system in my country but I chose not to because I am anointed servant leader. I was inspired by my vision and passion for a meaningful life, which forced me to speak up.
Today, I am a surviving victim of injustice, prejudice and discrimination. I will like you to know more about my educational background and work history. After, which I will proceed to state what I will like to accomplish now and in the future. Take a moment to get to know and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

My classroom education:

  • MA in Religion and Theology (MART), United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA: 2000-2003
  • 1st Degree in Divinity, Protestant Faculty of Theology, Yaounde Cameroon 1991-1995
  • Government High School Mbengwi: 1988-1990
  • Presbyterian Boarding Grammar (Secondary) School Mankon -Bamenda 1983-1988
  • Presbyterian Elementary (Primary) School Alabukam-Mankon: 1976-1983

  • My continuing education through experience, creativity and inspiration
  • Master Equivalence in the History and Education of the Founder
  • My experience of the importance of being educated following my struggle in  Cameroon and the United States of America
  • My Experience of the Christian faith and Colonialism (Christianity and colonialism could have been a positive influence on our lives especially from my standpoint because without these 20th century movements, I would be in the dark)
  • I feel very strongly that the Christian religion and colonialism were a tremendous light that were cast upon the darkness of ignorance, which would have robbed me of education, knowing and knowledge but colonialism needs to graduate to a whole new level in the 21st century
  • My experience of poverty as an obstacle to human development, peace and pursuit of happiness.
  • My experience of injustice, oppression and torture as evil forces within the totalitarian socio-economic and political cultures in Cameroon, which undermine peace and human dignity
  • My experience of the Human Spirits, which have been the last resort in dire moments of resiliency (compassion, empathy, kindness, love, mercy, courage, hard work, determination, resiliency, creativity and positive thinking). They help to enhance a peaceful world.
  • My continuous exposure to the Western values during my stay in US is also a great addition. I listen, observe, watch, see and perceive, hear and understand, participate and finally I seek to engage people in a conversation about the issues even if they want to avoid me, I will pursue them so long as they are involved or interested in Cameroon and Africa
My Leadership Experience
Community Organizer and Leader
  • President of the Mankon Students, Mbengwi Chapter 1990
  • President of the Journalism Club, Government High School Mbengwi 1990
  • Secretary of Alabukam Students Union 1991
  • Co-sponsored free Holiday classes for students in his village (volunteerism is not common in Cameroon) 1992
  • Secretary General of the Yaounde Chapter of PEMEXA 1992
  • General President of the Mankon Students Association (MASA) 1994-1996
  • Associate Pastor  of Congregational leadership and Chaplain of Schools and Hospitals.1995-1998 (pastor to youths, seniors, adults and professionals from different backgrounds and walks of life
  • Member of the Ecumenical Christian Justice and Peace Commission in Bambili and Bambui, Cameroon
  • Youth Leader and Speaker on the Burning Candle life: You are the light of the World.
  • Advocate for a theology of Mission and Social Justice for the church in Africa through the Presbyterian Church (USA). In February of 2004 I presented a Memo to the Presbytery authorities, advocating and lobbying for social justice for the Christian community in Africa.
  • Advocate for Ecumenism among Presbyterians, Baptist, Roman Catholics and Evangelicals while I was a pastor in Cameroon. We succeeded to get together.
  • Advocate for human rights, Social Justice and Peaceful political transition: 1998-till date
  • Senior Community Consultant and Organizer with the United States.Seeking Liberty and justice for all affected by the issues that I stand on in the African Continent.

Work History 
  • Helped my grandfather on the coffee farm(Elementary School and grammar school)
  • Helped my grandmother on the farm (elementary school and grammar school)
  • Tapped my grandfather’s palm wine (Elementary School and High School)
  • Independent farmland contractor (Grammar School and High School)
  • Self-employed on my father’s garden and bakery (Grammar School and High School)
  • Teacher at Presbyterian Elementary School Alabukam 1991
  • Presbyterian Chaplain and Congregational Pastor in CCAST Complex Bambili and Baforkum, Cameroon
  • Hospital Chaplain at the Bambili Health Care Center, Cameroon 1995-1998
  •  Instructor at CCAST Complex Bambili, Cameroon 1995-1998
  • Befriender Nursing Assistant at Preshomes, USA 2000
  • Associate Pastor for outreach to Cameroonian Immigrants 2000-200
  • Custodian at Christ Presbyterian Church, Edina, USA 2001-2003
  • Youth Director at Dayton Avenue Presbyterian Church, St Paul, Minnesota, USA 2002-2003
  • Laundry Aide at Castle Ridge Care Center, Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA 2004
  • Housekeeping at Broadmoor Apartment Complex, Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA 2004
  • Housekeeping and Befriender Care of seniors at Summerwood of Chanhassen 2005
  • Food Server and befriender of  seniors at Summerwood of Chanhassen 2005
Extra Gifts

  • I am a creative / critical thinker and researcher on different human rights and social  issues from experience. About 50% of my knowledge is acquired through classroom studies and the rest has been acquired through inspiration from experience, research and creativity (real life events)
  • Also an inspirational and motivational speaker on "The True Meaning and Purpose for life" from my story. Metaphor is "The Burning Candle life "  
  • I speak occasionally and presently, I have an inspirational column on the Eden Prairie News called “Memory Lane”. My first article appeared on Thursday, 29th, 2005 about the Appreciation of the Library System as a source of freedom.
  • My next article will be about a Human Rights and Road Development in Minnesota and Cameroon
  • I have also done a presentation to the Social Justice Adult class at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church in Excelsior, Minnesota, Rotary Club of Chanhassen, ABC Foundation of Eden Prairie .I have also spoken to 7th and 8th t graders and their parents at St Andrews Lutheran Church in Eden Prairie.
Future engagements are available on different subjects: Freedom and Education, Human Rights, Social Justice, Poverty and Corruption, The Church and Ecumenism, The Human Spirits (compassion, empathy, patience kindness, determination, courage, hardwork, positive thinking, optimism, resiliency and love), Faith in God We Trust, celebration of diversity and tolerance.

These are the values that have shaped my life so far and the platform for my Christian faith and political  thinking. Remember I speak and write from my story from the time I was enlightened about the negative things happening in our culture and society of dictatorship. Politics and faith have impacted my perspective about life.

 Faith and Politics

Ask Not What
“Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”
“Gorbachev, tear down this wall”
African Dictators should tear down that wall of dictatorship in Africa
Ask not what Africa can do for you, ask what you can do for Africa
Ask not what your church can do for you, ask what you can do for your church
Ask not what Cameroon can do for you, ask what you can do for Cameroon
Ask not what the West did not do for Africa, ask what the West can do for Africa now
What Would they Do?

What President Thomas Jefferson and the Founders recommend for Cameroon and Africa
What would Martin Luther King Jr. do for Africa if he was still alive?
What would Mother Theresa do about poverty if he was still alive?
What would Pope John Paul 11 do about freedom in Africa ?
What would Dietrich Bonhoeffer do about Ecumenism and unholy alliances if he was still alive?
What would we be doing about the unfinished business and the legacy that they have left behind on the sands of time?

 The Christian Church and Society

The neo-Christian Church in the 21st century unlike Neo-colonization should be more engaged and proactive in responding to the critical issues of the day in order to heal the wounds of the 20hth century. It is my hope that the church will eventually establish a new world order that will start dismantling unholy alliances.   The Church may not fold its arm again and watch dictators in some African countries torture and kill innocent people physically, mentally and psychologically. The church from Rome through the World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the World Council of Churches need an urgent agenda for the 21 st century, which should focus on changing the tone of hate, jealousy and chauvinism in Africa perpetrated by neo-colonization, dictatorship and corrupt tyranny

Vision and Goal: Liberty, Justice and Peace

To appeal and advocate for the consideration of my hypothesis and declare a World Day of Poverty and Walk against Poverty, declare an age for the freedom of Africa. In my quest for liberty and Justice for all, my painful past is a platform for me to make the world a better place in order to alleviate the human suffering.

I am very humble by how far I have come in life  in spite of all the odss. I will continue to seek justice by speaking the truth about what I know in Cameroon and Africa . Being a voice for the voiceless from my context is just my own humble calling. Please, help me to use my past positively, constructively and conscientiously to do greater good and make the present and future a better world for those who are suffering in Cameroon and Africa .

That is why I am also embarking on motivational speaking and writing on different issues because no matter the unlikely scenarios, we have to stay on top of things or else one drowns. So, please this is the only occasion for me in this country to be honest with anyone reading this. I chose to  oppose the wrongs of my society. I could have joined the system but I did not. I believe that I made the right choice.

To establish a balance between our passion for Christ and Social Justice through the correct interpretation of the gospel of John the Baptist, Jesus Christ and St Paul the missionary. Did the Gospel of John embody a theology that speaks about salvation and survival in the presence and the future? Did John evoke a theology of human rights, social justice and salvation as the foundation for God’s Purpose Driven Life in Christ? Is poverty a human rights issue? Remember, I speak and write from my religious point of view but certainly have a lot of respect for others. So, bear with me.
My Reaction to Slavery and Reparation (it will feature in one of the series of Memos, which I have written to President George W. Bush and Religious leaders to  discuss  the subject of Reparation
To advocate for the abolition of  slavery and dictatorship  in my society because there are visible evils that have existed there forever. I think it is hightimes for us to put an end to these evils. 
 
-          I am inspired by the fact that all human beings are born equal and endowed by the creator with inherent and inalienable rights, among which include freedom, liberty and pursuit of happiness (and prosperity).
-         I believe that what I am doing is the right thing because the facts and issues have tested positive in terms of empirical evidence and truth standards. Speaking up was the only way for me as a “poor” child (material poverty) trapped in a culture of oppression especially when my parents were “ ignorant” and unenlightened. I entered grammar school when I was 12 years old after a struggle with my abusive uncle who never wanted me to go to grammar school.
-         Universal human values (liberty, freedom, pursuit of happiness and prosperity in all forms and shape) must be respected and safeguarded from being floated by the churches and governments of the world. Wherever and whenever these values are tampered, humanity should speak up and stop the abusers. It is important that the world in the 21st century should not ignore the role of the church, too in human rights concerns around the world. I think focusing only on governments has actually slowed down the progress in the improvement of human rights around the world. Therefore, we should look at the church in Africa and explore their role in undermining human rights, social justice and freedom
-         I don’t want other persons to be victimized the way I was tortured. I want some ultimate good to emerge from all the injustice, torture and prejudice against me by these persons.
-         They need simple moral instruction about being accountable for their lives and leadership styles. I believe that if the American people both in the church and government are called to be accountable for what they do, why won’t Cameroonians?

               Featuring
·        My Perception of America as a Moral Super Power. Did God choose America to lead the world? Do Americans understand this call? Is the Western church turning a Blind eye to the problems of Africa in Africa ?
·        Why the West are not to be absolutely Blamed: Breaking The African Victim Mentality Myth and Brainwashing Syndrome
·        Africans Elite should apologize for slavery and also pay Reparation to the African- Americans (African elite are dead wrong to be asking for reparation when they participated in the act of slavery. The victims were African- Americans and how come they are posing as the beneficiaries of reparation? If there is going to be reparation, I believe very strongly that it will be a shared responsibility of blame and compensation. This is the utmost truth that has been buried for more than 400 years. Unless they acknowledge that their attitude toward the African- Americans was wrong, I doubt if there shall ever be peace in Africa . Is Africa curse because of the immoral behavior of some elites?  
·         Slavery in Cameroon
·        Unholy Alliance between the Church elite and Government elite to oppress the ignorant “perfect” people
·         Peaceful Reconstruction: How can we prevent what happened in Liberia , Sierra Leone , Rwanda from happening in other countries, for instance Cameroon ?
·        A Theology of Mission and Social Justice for the African Church
·        Reaction to the G-8 Summit on the War against Poverty
·        A Critique of the African Culture from my context
·        A Critique of African leadership Heritage: A Positive or Bad Influence on the lives of the people?
·        The Corrupt Judiciary System and the Miscarriage of Justice in Cameroon
·        Why I stand for Federalism in Cameroon :  A Critique
·        The other side of Human Rights Concerns: Abuse of women’s rights by women Cameroon under the guise of empowerment. 

My anticipated audience

It is my hope that writings  will change the tone at the level of the international community among leaders of  organizations and people that are involved in Cameroon and Africa  all over the world.

This is a research document written from experience and from a profound understanding of the African culture and the human condition after being immersed in this society (I mean the Western world). I have absorbed so much energy that I must release it now. Now I want to make a positive contribution with the hope that my story and experiences could transform the human condition. Think about United Nations, USAID, Christian Missionaries, Non-Governmental organizations, tourists, and friends of Africa; people who really care about Cameroon or Africa.

This  should also be a good resource for peace organizations or advocates for peace and humnan rights to enable all of us to understand the people, culture and the challenges; how meaning has been distorted and truth twisted. My goal is to differ with the regular African victim mentality myth, which blames the West for our plight. My premise is that neo-colonization is a false- front employed by the elite to avoid being accountable. This concept alone changes the tone and the direction of African affairs and the fate of Africa in the 21st century.

As an advocate, I think that this work will help students and scholars engaged in public policy to the extent, which they can infleunce and shape policies toward human dignity of all. I also believe that it will be a useful working document for policy makers for Cameroon or Africa. This work should challenge and provoke a new dialogue about the role of faith and politics as a de factor in human civilization and development as we forge ahead in the 21st century.
 Jonathan Awasom
Motto: Education, Truth, Conviction, Creativity, Accountability and Freedom (ETCCTF)

No comments: